By Jemmagail Fielding | Sideline reporter
Bass Lake “Summerfest Festival” opens today.
Until 2018, the celebration was known as Pre-Mid-Summer Festival Week Days. Despite the name-change, most traditions have continued unscathed.
Example: The annual parade, this year set to commence at 1:45 p.m. Saturday.
Here is an abbreviated parade lineup, provided by the event committee. For a complete list, visit the festival website.
- Vintage fire truck
- Officers from Bass Lake Authority Police, riding in a truck recently confiscated by Chief Tug McNabb.
- Residents of the Year: Johnny Wen and the oft-maligned Emilee Van Dickinson.
- “Tanks For the Memories,” a patriotic retrospective of the 2019 July 4 party in Washington.
- Featured float: Cam Shaft, winner of the annual presidential bio contest.
- Bass Lake High School marching band (some members are on a family vacation, detasseling or baling hay)
- “Battle of Baton”: Twirlers contest
- Monster truck/vintage tractor. Probably not both.
- Fraternal Order of Sisters
In addition, along the parade route, local dignitaries and public safety workers will distribute goodies to young spectators, including vape-free candy and family-safe firecrackers.